From the teacher's heart by Joy Mirembe Abola


I have been working with young people in what we call “The Money Headstart” course for over 3 years. This was an endeavour that I took on quite reluctantly because sometime I really was not convinced there was much impact on the children. A number of incidents however made me change my mind and have seen me take this noble activity to another level.
I met a mother who commented that whatever I had instilled in her daughter was incomparable and that even at high school her daughter was not the same person. She was not only responsible but very industrious with regard to money.
Then I met a father whose twins had only been in my care for a few weeks. He told me his boy and girl now put him to task to be more accountable for the family resources something he found very useful though challenging at the same time.
The cream on the cake was when I observed my 5year old boy hanging onto every word his dear teacher said. At that point I realized that as the adult and mentor for these young people, they may not be hanging to my every word but a very big chunk of it. I realized that they believed in me and at that point the seriousness of this mentoring responsibility hit me and l looked at everything from a different light
I have observed and learned as I have worked with the “Head Starters’ that many though young are very intelligent and impressionable. Even as teens who want to prove their independence to the world, they are quite hungry for information whether it is right or wrong
Our class focuses on creating the right mindset toward money; emphasising that although money is very important, it does not guarantee success. We focus on wholesome success which involves a positive mental attitude, sound physical health, harmony in human relationships and financial soundness. We deal with communication skills and a lot of emphasis is placed on taking responsibility and self management
I cannot fully describe the value and fulfilment in impacting a life, more so a young life; when a parent calls to say thank you or refers their friend’s child to us. It’s an awesome honour and challenge. ‘Jazzing’ like they like to call it with the children and getting to understand issues from their level is deeply enriching.
Every parent needs to be encouraged that no matter how young they are, if you spend time talking and guiding your children it will be worth every minute but even more so, get us to work and talk to them about how they can be financially smart even at their tender age.

Comments

  1. Quite an intersting piece.the young people indeed need directions and some one to hold their hands and lead them in the right direction of their future.

    bwireej@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It helps all of us if you indicate your email address when making a comment.
Thank you. Akamai Global

Popular posts from this blog

Uganda: gifted but not competitive

Akamai offers Personal Money Management Course