My Head Start Experience by Andrew Semyalo


My very first memorable experience of earning money was at the age of four when my tooth was exchanged with money from the “rat”. After that, every time I felt a lose tooth, I got to work immediately and used tools like sugar cane to get it out and then got help to put it where the rat would find it; the business was not sustainable so I moved on to washing the car and made it a hobby to visit (once or twice I got donations).
Financial management grows with us and the habit and principles learnt in the process shapes our financial future; the headstart class coming in at the take off stage has a life transforming effect in various ways.
Previously, my inspiration for making money was the pleasure of spending the money I got  which vice grew as I became older. The course introduced me to the different money concepts such as saving, personal financial statements and investment which helped to break the “earn to spend” habit some of us had formed.
Mindset dictates how you view, understand and react to the different situations; headstart widens your mindset and gives you a clearer understanding of the different financial situations as you grow.
Headstart reshaped and built in me a stronger character and personality through the interactions and game filled sessions. In the competitive environment created during the games, skills such as assertiveness, goal setting and communication are strongly emphasized.This is especially so when using slogans like BE FAB (Back straight, Eye contact, Firm hand shake, Ask questions, be bold)
Thanks to the headstart class, I now understand financial statements. I follow the economic situation in my environment and make clear financial decisions along with planning and evaluating my business ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akamai offers Personal Money Management Course

Uganda: gifted but not competitive

From the teacher's heart by Joy Mirembe Abola